Saturday, August 23, 2008

[<3] Buying vintage and making your own!




Ah.. vintage clothing sales! So exciting!!! I went to one yesterday. My strategy is a little different from most people, as I may peruse the clothes, but mostly go right to the accessories and outerwear section. And I scored some cool hats! I love hats...but that's another post...
But anyway, this is what I came out with. A really cool bright blue pillbox and a mink turban! A mink turban! How cool is that?! Of course, I know some people don't like fur, but my big beef with it is it is usually so distasteful. And the conditions the poor mink are forced into, of course, but these particular mink in my hat haven't had a chance for the last thirty-plus years. (Ideally, we should just keep passing around all the vintage fur and not create any new... its more stylish from forty years ago, anyway!)

But what is cool about the design is that it is actually a crochet/knit cap with long thin strips of mink attached. It makes it a lot more fluid. Basically... really really cool.

I'm definitely wearing the mink to school in the winter to stave off the chill, although I know I'll be judged by some less fashion forward souls. But they are just going to have to deal... because I am fabulous!

No comments: